Monday, September 22, 2008

Vendakai poriyal (lady’s finger/okra)

Vendakai Poriyal - preparation time 25 mins
I hate lady's finger dry curry. I prefer only lady's finger fry so when I return from school/college mom used to sit in dinning table and chat with me and serve this curry which I don't like at all.  She will ensure that I complete the curry. This is her way of serving the dishes which I don't like much.


Another procedure is serving those dished when I am damn hungry. During festivals she used to make vadai, payasam, etc. Me and my brother don't like sweet and we wont even taste it. When we used to sit for dinner or lunch she used to tell that she is re-heating so slowly she used to keep the payasam cup before me and continue with her work. I will be very hungry she will tell few mins, take that payasam and I am preparing the food. When I finish the sweet she will bring everything to dining table. She will make me eat but not by forcing. Now a days things are very different.


Health tips: Lady's finger contains folate, protein, vitamin C, calcium and improve

Ingredients:-
Lady’s finger (vendakai) - 1 cup (finely chopped)
Mustard seed - ¼ tsp
Sesame oil - 2 tblsp
Urad dhal - 1 tbspn
Turmeric - ¼ tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbspn
Salt to taste
Chili powder or Sambar powder - ½ tsp
Curry leaves - 10 (finely chopped)


Preparation method 1
In a Kadai add lady’s finger(okra/vendakai) , 1 ½ tblsp oil, turmeric and fry it once it become tender/cooked add salt, chili powder and cook till the raw taste of turmeric goes.

In a tawa add remaining oil, mustard seed, urad dhal, curry leaves and fry. Add the cooked lady’s finger and fry for few minutes.

Preparation method 2
In microwave pan add lady's finger, 1 ½ tblsp oil, turmeric and micro wave for 4 mins. Add salt chili powder and microwave for 1 min.
In another pan add little oil, mustard seed, urad dhal, curry leaves and fry for 1/2 mins (till the urad dhal is slight brown).
Add the cooked lady’s finger and keep for 1 minute.




Note: Don’t add salt in initial stage because, it will observe the water from lady’s finger and will be sticky. If it is too stick add some(1/2 tsp) rava or rice flour.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first visit. Was wondering about vendakai. Esp. liked your health tips at the top.

    Thanks.

    - Bharath

    ReplyDelete