Monday, December 6, 2010

Kovakkai poriyal (Ivy Gourd dry curry)

Kovakkai poriyal (Ivy gourd dry curry) preparation time 15 to 20 mins

In my moms place they wont cook certain vegetables (like kovakkai, vellarikai, pudalanga). Only in my in-laws place they used to cook these vegetables. Since my husband like these vegetables i started cooking them along with other vegetables. Only few months before i cooked this kovakka poriyal. I haven't tasted in my in-laws house so, i really don't know the taste and what to add. I cooked in my style. After tasting my husband told it is good but, when my mom cooks it wont shrink and will get some saunf taste. The second time i tried the below one.

Health Tips :- Kovakkai (Ivy Gourd) is very good for diabetic patient. So they can add Kovakkai weekly once. This is rich in beta carotene according to research. Contains vitamin and nutrient values.




Ingredients:-
Kovakkai chopped - 1 cup (chop to circle not too thin or too thick)

Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Salt  - To taste
Saunf - 1 tbsp (or you can take little according to your spice taste)
Garlic pods - 2
Water - 3/4 or 1 cup
Mustard seed - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves - 5


Preparation method:-
In a vessel boil water along with turmeric. Add chopped kovakkai and cook till it is tender.
Crush the saunf along with garlic pods and keep aside.
In a tawa add oil, mustard. Leave it to splutter. Add the curry leaves, boiled kovakai, salt, chili and mix well.
Cover it for few minutes. Stir and see whether the kovakkai is slightly brown over the edges. If so then the dry curry is done.
You can take this yummy kovakkai poriyal with thakkali or poondu rasam. I hope you and your family will like it. If want you can add grated coconut (optional) after switching of the flame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment